Friday, September 30, 2005

HOT TOPIC


Trial of Experimental Avian Flu VaccineMar 24, 2005, 05:24

“While there have been relatively few cases worldwide of H5N1 avian influenza infection in humans, the public health community is concerned that the virus will develop the capability of efficiently spreading from human to human and thus create a risk for a worldwide pandemic”

By NIAID, Fast-track recruitment has begun for a trial to investigate the safety of a vaccine against H5N1 avian influenza, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), announced today.

Sites in Rochester, NY, Baltimore and Los Angeles will enroll a total of 450 healthy adults. The clinical sites are part of the NIAID-sponsored Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Units (VTEU).“While there have been relatively few cases worldwide of H5N1 avian influenza infection in humans, the public health community is concerned that the virus will develop the capability of efficiently spreading from human to human and thus create a risk for a worldwide pandemic,” says NIAID Director Anthony S. Fauci, M.D.“NIAID has supported research on H5N1, the strain responsible for this deadly form of avian influenza, since 1997 when the first cases in humans were reported.
The initiation of this vaccine trial marks a key advance in our efforts to prepare to respond to an avian flu pandemic,” adds Dr. Fauci.Sanofi pasteur, Swiftwater, PA, manufactured the trial vaccine, which is an inactivated vaccine made from an H5N1 virus isolated in Southeast Asia in 2004. Sanofi pasteur, formerly Aventis Pasteur, was awarded a contract by NIAID to manufacture the H5N1 vaccine in May 2004.
This Phase I trial will test the vaccine’s safety and ability to generate an immune response in 450 healthy adults aged 18 to 64. If the vaccine is shown to be safe in adults, there are plans to test it in other populations, such as the elderly and children.H5N1 avian influenza leads to severe disease in both birds and humans. Between January 2004 and March 11, 2005, there were 69 confirmed cases of and 46 deaths from H5N1 infection in humans reported to the World Health Organization. To date, there has been a small number of cases where human-to-human transmission of the virus may have occurred. However, public health experts fear that the virus may evolve into one that is more easily transmitted between people. If this were to happen, a worldwide pandemic could follow.Influenza pandemics are global outbreaks that emerge infrequently and unpredictably and involve strains of virus to which humans have little or no immunity. H5N1 is one such flu virus strain. The last influenza pandemic swept the globe in 1968; many public health officials believe the world is overdue for another one.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that old Texan; he’s a real round lot (a Texan round lot, that’s 1000 size). Remmeber him on the Gene Morgan show in the west about late eary 70's I think station 22 out there.

Richland Report.

D if you have time what is a 'blog' seen it on other sites but still cannot figure it out yet.

Thanks....:)

Marc R said...

A blog is what I have. Basically a website

Anonymous said...

fairfield california home for sale
Information => fairfield california home for sale

Anonymous said...

LOL everyone lets to buy homes...LOL

get rich like Trump...or Dump...LOL

Love these posting...money to be made on the downside here...

Thanks D on the Blog explain...why dont people just say website...


KISS........trading ttrem here not for home buyers....LOL


:)

Anonymous said...

Great information on your site folks. I also am working on a instant credit repair site. I'll bookmark yours if you bookmark mine. You can find it at instant credit repair.
Again, nice site folks...I'll be baak...:)

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, I came across a blog pretty similar to yours earlier today. I also have one that pretty much talks about ad announcement business classified free place related stuff. You should check it out sometime.

Anonymous said...

Hello!
This is a very interesting blog about coral italian jewelry.
I myself have a site where You can find a complete directory of coral italian jewelry resourses so please visit coral italian jewelry and tell me what You think.

Anonymous said...

This site has a lot of information pertaining to my interests credit card bad debit . I will definitely bookmark this page and be back later. If you get a chance, please check out my credit card bad debit site. We so have something in common. Check ya later...

Anonymous said...

Hey, Just came across your international home loans blog. Great work indeed. I also have a international home loans that may interest your readers. Would love you to stop by for feedback

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about free real estate classified ads You should check it out sometime.

Anonymous said...

great Blog. I have found a site you may find useful with information on rail travel in europe . at rail travel in europe

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! The information and Internet marketing product evaluations that you provide are great for beginner webmasters.

Now, I have a related best internet business site/blog. It pretty much covers best internet business related stuff. In addition, I supply the secrets that I used to make $12,124 from Google Adsense last month.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed you blog about constant indigestion. I also have a site about constant indigestion which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I love your baltimore ravens 2005 blog! Check out my baltimore ravens 2005 forum for lots of great baltimore ravens 2005 info.

Anonymous said...

at the single click of your Mouse, Dont miss the chance at High Website Exposure

Anonymous said...

Hey, you sure got a super blog here. Very interesting stuff. I've already put a book mark on it.

Pity I spend so much time blog-surfing that I often neglect my own. Silly me. :) But its so adictive.

Anyway, a lot of people are trying to make cash online nowadays, so I thought I'd help you out with a site that has some great tools.

avian bird flu history msnbc.msn.com site
Not bad to sit around doing nothing while your bank balance keeps growing. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm always on the lookout for other people interested in avian flu virus. Glad I found you. Another site I would recommend on the subject is avian flu virus Happy Day.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the info

Anonymous said...

Good post

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up. Here's the secrets a lot of people are searching for; mortgage after bankruptcy http://thehomemortgageguide.com Bad Credit? mortgage after bankruptcy

Anonymous said...

Looking for more information on Global Industrial ..If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to Global Industrial with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...dampex.com

Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ